Biography-Driven Culturally Responsive Teaching
Socorro G. Herrera Geneva Gay
Teachers College Press
Culturally responsive pedagogy, literacy, and English learner education expert Socorro Herrera has updated this bestseller to clarify, focus, and redefine concepts for the continued professional development of educators serving culturally and linguistically diverse (CLD) populations. Teaching strategies and tools have been updated to reflect important new brain research and to keep pace with our nation’s ever-changing demographics and constant shift in expectations for K–12 students. Herrera has also revised the structure and format of the book to help educators find information quickly while working in highly complex and demanding environments.
New for the Second Edition:
- Teaching strategies and tools based on the most current knowledge in the field.
- Authentic classroom artifacts that have been collected from teachers across the country.
- Glossary of key terms providing an auxiliary resource for current readers and for future applications of content in professional practice.
- Reorganized features with new icons providing a more user-friendly text for practitioner and classroom use.
- Updated excerpts from grade-level classroom teachers clarifying practice with CLD students and families.
- Additional planning and instructional aids available for free at www.tcpress.com.
Grounded in the latest theory and with more user-friendly features, the Second Edition of Biography-Driven Culturally Responsive Teaching will help educators to reflect on their assumptions and perspectives, integrate best practices, and accelerate CLD students’ academic learning.
Socorro G. Herrera is a keynote speaker, district consultant, trainer of trainers, and executive director of the Center for Intercultural and Multilingual Advocacy (CIMA) at the College of Education, Kansas State University. She is the bestselling author of Accelerating Literacy for Diverse Learners and Crossing the Vocabulary Bridge. She received the 2022 AERA Division K Legacy Award.