The Positive Parent
Raising Healthy, Happy, and Successful Children from Birth-Adolescence
Kerby T. Alvy
Teachers College Press
Raising children in the 21st Century is both parenting in the worst of times and parenting in the best of times. The Positive Parent is an essential resource for navigating the challenges and opportunities that today’s families face. Dr. Alvy shows parents how to help their children reach their full potential through the power of positive parenting.
With humor and passion, Dr. Alvy provides important skills, helpful resources, and 16 highly practical guidelines to help you become a Positive Parent. Learn how to:
1. Give Children Warmth, Acceptance, and Respect
2. Enjoy Your Children’s Development and Be Alert to Special Needs
3. Use Firm and Fair Leadership
4. Avoid Corporal Punishment and Verbal Aggression
5. Start Early in Preparing Children for School
6. Create a Home Environment That Supports Education
7. Be an Active Partner with Your Child's School
8. Manage Your Child’s Obesity and Eating-Related Problems
9. Teach Children about Their Own and Other Cultures
10. Teach Children about Substance Abuse
11. Teach Children about Sexuality
12. Teach Children to Be Financially Successful and Giving
13. Manage Your Children's Exposure and Use of Media and Technology
14. Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
15. Nurture the Relationship in Which You Are Raising Your Children
16. Set a Good Example of Life Long Learning
The Positive Parent includes selections from “The CICC Discovery Tool” — a series of age-specific questionnaires for tracking your child’s development.
Dr. Alvy encourages parents to become part of a new grassroots effort to make effective parenting a societal priority through NEPI, the National Effective Parenting Initiative (www.effectiveparentingusa.org).
Dr. Kerby T. Alvy, a clinical child psychologist, is executive director of the Center for the Improvement of Child Caring (CICC), Studio City, California and a founding board member of the National Effective Parenting Initiative.